12 Fun Facts You May Not Have Known About Your Hair
- Hair is dead once it leaves the root—or else those haircuts would hurt!
- The average head has 100,000 strands of hair!
- Blondes not only have more fun, but more hair with an average of 120,000 strands! While brown comes in second place at 100,000 and red in last at 80,000.
- You can lose up to 100 strands of hair PER DAY!
- Hair grows .3-.5mm per day, which translates to 12-15 cm a year.
- Hair is the second fastest growing tissue in the body? Wondering what #1 is? Bone marrow.
- Vitamins C and D and protein can aid in hair health!
- Pigment is what gives hair its color. With age, hair has less pigment, which results in unwanted grays.
- Factors such as drugs, medicines, and even iron deficiency can result in hair loss.
- Baldness comes from genes and is experienced by 50% of men and 40% of menopausal women!
- Hair has two main ingredients—keratin and water.
- Eumelanin and pheomelanin are proteins that determine hair color. Dark hair has more eumelanin while lighter hair has more pheomelanin.
I hope these 12 facts let you become more familiar with your hair!